Wednesday, November 16, 2011

(Tap Tap) Hello. Is This Thing On.....?


Well, I’m back.  After knee and hand surgery, crutches and a cast, I finally have my appendages back.  They aren’t 100%, but functional, and I’m working on trying to regain the mobility and dexterity I had previously.  Hopefully these problems will be a distant memory in the near future although I know surgeries of this scope have a way of being remembered.

Although I wasn’t blogging during my sabbatical, I was testing gear, reading a lot of backpacking articles and blogs, enjoyed several YouTube videos, limped my way through a few day hikes, enjoyed several overnights with my family, and otherwise had time to better engross myself in the backpacking industry. 

With that said, I’ve got several items of tested gear and other comments which will be posting weekly for the next several weeks starting next week.  THANKS (!!!) to everyone for sticking around.

Below are some videos I came across during my sabbatical that I thought were worth watching for your entertainment.

Most lightweight backpackers have heard of Mike Clelland(!) through his books, amazing illustrations, or knowledge as a NOLS instructor.  Well, he’s started putting practical tips on YouTube which really help bring home his techniques in a unique way.  He has several available, but you can start with learning about layering your clothing system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J4D3AHzlxQ which I think is one of his better videos..  His “dinky stuff” and “water treatment” videos are also well done.

I’m not quite sure how I came across the Intense Angler, although he appears to be quite popular on YouTube.  Nonetheless, I’ve enjoyed his grassroots and humble comments about lightweight backpacking and do-it-yourself gear even with his long-winded nature.  Like many of us, I like the fact that he’s a guy just trying to learn what works and do his best without a ton of advertised degrees to his name to gain him some kind of notoriety. http://www.youtube.com/user/intenseangler#p/u/38/FdeQ_MxXLOk.

Hendrik with Hiking In Finland (www.hikinginfinland.com) posted a great video entitled “Almost There – The John Muir Project” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kukVNtyNDCw which I enjoyed watching during my downtime.  It was very well done and truth be told I wish it were longer.  I was actually hoping it was part of a longer DVD series.


Erik the Black’s Backpacking Blog (http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/5521/10-ultralight-backpacking-foods/) has a great article on the Top 10 foods he brings backpacking which pack a caloric punch and are lightweight.

Until next week, happy backpacking,
JOLLY GREEN GIANT

5 comments:

Iván Domínguez said...

Hi Jolly, I'm glad you're better, you miss during this time in the network.

Regards

Evan said...

Welcome back Jolly Green Giant, I wish you a speedy recovery and I look forward to watching these videos you posted. Thanks for your blog, I've learned lots of good stuff from it over the years.
Evan

markswalkingblog said...

Welcome back, glad you are getting back on your feet. I look forward to your posts.

Jolly Green Giant said...

@ Ivan, Evan and Mark - Thanks for the wishes. Course, I can't promise the upcoming content will be anything that will keep you awake, but I promise it will at least reach the lack luster minimum level of excitement of previous posts!

JGG

Unknown said...

Welcome back, may the recovery be quick and successful! Looking forward to your interesting posts in the future (you always surprise me with a lot of finds =)