Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gossamer Gear...soon to offer TALL pack sizes!

This likely doesn't mean a heck of a lot to most of you, but at 6'6" finding gear tall enough for me has been a pain for the majority of my life. I have a lot of luck with mainstream manufacturers (The North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Osprey, etc.) just not UL.


After maintaining an on-going dialogue with Grant at Gossamer Gear (http://www.gossamergear.com/) about a couple things, he sent me an e-mail today reading, "after talking with you I've decided to add a tall size to some of our packs. Probably in the Plus first, then Gorilla or Mini." At present, other than those made by Z-Packs, Gossamer Gear is likely the lightest packs on the market. Most of their packs are nothing more than SilNylon ruck sacks (although the unreleased and upcoming Gorilla should be a little heartier) which are actually a very solid option when carrying lightweight loads as an internal frame isn't always needed. My suggestion is to give it a shot and see if it is for you as it would be just one more way to lighten your load.

Grant didn't mention a scheduled delivery on these and I definitely don't plan on hounding him being that I'm thankful just to have his willingness on the radar.

Although I'm not going to promise it's gospel just yet, it is terribly encouraging for us tall folks and also serves as a very positive reminder that the cottage industry of lightweight backpacking is absolutely wonderful when it comes to considering new ideas and really being flexible to customer requests.

No comments: